Friday, May 1, 2009

4 Started; Cauliflower, Broccoli, Cantaloupe, Cucumber

You'll notice that a couple of these are things that aren't normally started indoors- the reasoning for this is that they need to be at a fairy warm temperature to sprout and you want to get as much out of your growing season as possible. Since I have the nifty kit, I can get rid of transplant shock on the cantaloupe and cucumbers and have them even further along when it gets warm enough to plant them outdoors in a few weeks.

Green Magic Hybrid Brocolli- Broccoli really should have been seeded weeks ago, but I'm going to try it this way because it's a fairly short season crop. If it gets too hot and gets away from me in the summer, I'll just plant another crop to have this fall. Oddly there were only 2 varieties to choose from at Gurneys, so I chose the heat tolerant one. I seeded a full 6-plug "greenhouse" with these.

Cheddar Hybrid Cauliflower- I've never grown cauliflower, and I understand it's a bit of a fussy crop to grow, but if there's one thing in my life I'm okay with making mistakes on, it's plants. So I decided to have fun and try out a novelty item- orange cauliflower. I've got 2 plugs sown with this, I'll likely get at least 2 plants out of that (thinned) and I'll either have 1 or 2 squares of cauliflower in the garden. This one's a learning experience.

Gurney's Burpless II Cucumber- technically a pickler (I might pick some to make my own pickles partway through the summer- yum!) but will also be good for slicing when I let it mature. No real reason I picked this over another; Gurney's has a large selection of cucumbers to choose from. Seeded 2 plugs worth of this, may start another 2 in the ground if I decide I want more cucumbers. The 2 empty spots in my garden might currently end up being used for more carrots or something, though.

Sweet 'n' Early Hybrid Cantaloupe- I picked this one because, well it's EARLY. The thing about melons is they tend to be a long season crop, and while the Rochester growing season is a good 2 weeks+ longer than the Northern New York growing season, I'm also impatient. So I picked this one. Hopefully it will taste yummy and I'll be successful in growing it. The plan right now is to grow it against my aunt's backyard fence and train it onto the fence to get it up off the ground, along with the winter squash (spaghetti and buternut, both to be seeded in the ground) and tomatoes. We'll see.

Seed Starting..

The cat has chewed a bit on the containers so I'm going to have to start moving them during the night so he won't be quite so mischievous.

No comments:

Post a Comment