Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Laurentian Rutabaga

Purchased from:  Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds  $1.50/400 seeds
Type: Rutabaga (aka Swede)

"Laurentian" isn't exactly an uncommon variety, but when it comes to rutabagas, there isn't exactly a lot of choice in the first place.  I am a fan of roasting these bad-boys, and my grandmother used to slice them and fry them, which was also very tasty.

This is the second type of seed packet I got in my order, and as you can see it has a bit more of a vintage feel than the black seed packets with photos on them, and has some lovely artwork of the bulb that I'll be growing.  I can say that they don't generally look quite as pretty as the picture, but really, it's a rutabaga!  It isn't that exciting in the first place, though I'm not any less excited to be growing them.

I have grown rutabagas in the past, and I'm pretty relaxed about it.  My grandfather used to let his get GIGANTIC.  I mean, HUGE.  I wish I had some photos, but alas, I do not.  They would be way bigger than softballs, though, which seems to be the metric used with this particular root vegetable.

curious about my impressions of Baker Creek?  click here for my original post!

No comments:

Post a Comment