Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Purple Podded Pole Bean

Purchased from:  Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds for  $2.75/40-60 seeds
Type: Green Bean
Growth: Vine

I kind of like that this one doesn't have a fancy name- it's just a 'Purple-Podded Pole' bean.  There were a few solid purple varieties available and I settled on this one pretty much entirely because one of the reviewers was located in Alaska and had good luck growing it in a raised bed- I figure if they had time for it in Alaska, I should have no issues getting this puppy to grow here in Montana.

The interesting thing about this bean- and from what I can see, other purple beans as well- is that it turns green when cooked.  So you can have a gorgeous addition to your garden, but you won't creep out anyone who has a "thing" about oddly colored foods.  Of course, I would personally be happier if they stayed purple when cooked, but color changing veggies are kind of cool, too.  I am also thinking of pickling beans this year, but we'll see about that.  This is another pole bean, and another one I'll be planting both at home and at the community garden.

curious about my impressions of Baker Creek?  click here for my original post!

No comments:

Post a Comment