Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Purple Top White Globe Turnip

Purchased from:  Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds  $1.50/600 seeds
Type: Turnip

If you don't click my link to the product page for any other veggie here, you should still click the link for this one.  The adorable photograph with the little girl is pretty much the entire reason I picked this variety.  I've never grown turnips, and my grandfather (my gardening inspiration- I'll have to talk about him someday) did not either.  At least, he didn't while I was helping him garden.  I'm not sure what to expect, but we'll see.  I'm sure that if no one in this house cares for the turnips that I'll be able to unload free produce on someone else, so I'm not worried about "waste."

This variety seems to be quite old- according to the description, pre-1880, which appeals to me.  I do think that "modern" varieties, hybrid or not, have a place in the world, but there is something fun about growing something from what I used to call "olden times" when I was a kid.  "Tried and True" can be better than "New and Improved" depending on the situation.

curious about my impressions of Baker Creek?  click here for my original post!

No comments:

Post a Comment