Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Dwarf Blue Curled Kale

Purchased From:  Fisher's Garden Store (Catalog) $2.55
Type: Curly Kale

I grew this last year, and while I wish that Kale took up a bit less space, it was easy to grow, and of course tasty.  Well, the way I use kale- I make chips.  I'm not really a fan of bitter greens raw, and I didn't get a chance to let the kale sit through a hard frost to see if it sweetened up like I've been told- I will be growing some at the house this year for those purposes.  Yum!

Kale isn't terribly suited to square foot gardening, as you can only grow one bunch per square, but this one is a bit smaller so I may be able to squeeze 2 into the block this year- especially since my blocks are slightly bigger than they were last year, as I believe I mentioned in my first planning post.

It should be noted that I bought these from Fisher's Garden Store, which doesn't have its own website, but you can go to this post to find out how to get a catalog.  Once you make an order, you are on the mailing list for the following year as well, so if you buy from them every year (this year I've ordered seed potatoes), you'll not have to pay for the catalog again.  They really do have great customer service, since we're talking about that.

click here to learn about my experience with Fisher's Garden Store and to learn how to get a catalog of your own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment