Thursday, March 21, 2013

Parisienne Carrot

Free Gift from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds.  Available for purchase here for $2.50/800 seeds
Type: Carrot

If I didn't know better, I'd swear that Baker Creek are mind-readers, because this was actually on my short list of carrots to buy.  I ended up only picking one variety to purchase- Cosmic Purple, but I was pleasantly surprised to find this free gift tucked in with my order of bean seeds.

This is a smaller, "stubby" type carrot that is intended to be grown in less carrot-friendly soils.  I don't have too much problem with carrots at the community garden, since we use raised beds and I always do a good job of fluffing up the soil, but these would be very useful for anyone who has a heavier soil, for sure.  As for me, I'm just excited to grow something cutely-shaped and definitely excited to see how they turn out.  I think that thinly slicing a fat little carrot would make for great 'medallions' to put in salad or something, or maybe even to use as little dip-holders in appetizers or something. 

curious about my impressions of Baker Creek?  click here for my original post!

No comments:

Post a Comment