Thursday, February 14, 2013

White Sugar Lumps Watermelon

Purchased From: Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds  $3.50/15 seeds
Type: Watermelon
Growth: Vine

I'm taking a bit of a risk with the White Wonder watermelon, but this beauty is the really risky one, because I've got absolutely no idea how long the season on these is supposed to be!  Unfortunately, Baker Creek does not give a harvest time on these, though the description claims that they ripen early, so I'm optimistic.  The only reviews are utterly unhelpful, as one person grew them in a greenhouse, and the other is in zone 9.

I'll admit, too, that I kind of am growing this one just for the sake of rarity.  The description on the website took me in, I'll admit, and I just want to try it out.  If it works out, I'll save seeds and be able to give my friends this rare beauty so they can try it out in their gardens.  If it doesn't work out?  C'est la vie!  Which is why I think gardening is a great pasttime for people who have trouble "going with the flow."  No matter how well you plan, you're going to have to just roll with the punches because some things are just beyond your control.

As with White Wonder, I'll be starting these indoors and outdoors to experiment with the best method for getting them going.

curious about my impressions of Baker Creek?  click here for my original post!

No comments:

Post a Comment