Monday, May 4, 2009

A bed has been built.. mostly

The man who mows the lawn came today, so I was able to get one of the beds down. I ended up under-buying soil, so I am going to need 2 more 2cu ft bags, and 1 more 1cu ft bag to do the second bed, but I don't need that one ready for a couple weeks yet. I still need to lay down the grid before I can plant, and head down into the basement to find the watering can- there's no hose, so I'm going to be doing a lot of water lugging. Once I get the intial planting water out of the way it shouldn't be too bad. One watering can per day should probably do the trick.

First Bed nearly finished


It's filled in with Sta-Green Garden Soil from Lowe's. It has fertilizer built in which I'm not really crazy about, but it was the cheapest garden soil they had, and I suppose it'll give a nice boost to the plants.

I also need to get a chicken wire protection cage built pretty quick.. oh the hard labor. That bed is going to be my greens, root veggies, and peas- want to make sure nothing gets to them! Also want to make sure that Paisley says out. There are instructions on how to build a chicken wire cage to go over the bed in the book I have, so that's probably what I'm going to end up building. This is all stuff that once it's done will be, well, done- and I won't have to worry about it again. But still, it's a bit daunting.

I took Paisley (the dog) outside to enjoy the weather with me. She seemed pretty pleased.

Paisley "helped" with the garden

No comments:

Post a Comment