Thursday, February 21, 2013

Golden Beet

Purchased from:  Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds for $2.50/250 seeds
Type: Beet

I'll be honest, I'm not really a fan of beets.  I keep trying them because tastes change and I may find a variety I like, but in general I find that they taste too much like, well, DIRT.  I picked this variety because it supposedly has both tasty greens and tasty roots.  I figure if I don't like the "Golden" beets any better than the red ones, I may enjoy the greens.  I'm all about new experiences.

Some of my family members enjoy beets, also, so again, no waste here!  In addition I actually do enjoy beet chips, so I'm hoping these work well for that.  It's interesting how many vegetables become palatable (or just tastier) when you dehydrate them into something crispy and wonderful.  Kale being the big one, but lots of other things as well.

One thing I have to say, also, is that Baker Creek has an insanely big selection of beets.  Seriously.  Some are considered better for feeding livestock, but still- it was a rough choice.  

curious about my impressions of Baker Creek?  click here for my original post!

No comments:

Post a Comment