Saturday, March 16, 2013

Gold Marie Pole Bean

Purchased from:  Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds for $3.00/40-60 seeds
Type: Green Bean
Growth: Vine

It's probably funny and a bit confusing that I call this a "green bean" when it is actually golden-colored, but I use that terminology to mean that I intend to eat the pods whole rather than drying the seeds to use as dry beans.  Some of these beans can do double duty, but I don't generally use dry beans so I'll probably stick mostly to eating them when they are tender, and just save a few pods for next year's seeds.

These beans are supposedly on the larger side, and I love that they are yellow- which will make them easier to harvest as well.  I always have problems with missing beans, peas, and other green podded things that I should be harvesting young- I invariably miss a few, and they end up overripe.  That isn't necessarily the worst thing, but it helps to keep harvesting things like beans as constantly as possible to keep the plants producing for longer periods.

I'm hoping that this year's experiment with pole beans goes better than last year's- I will be just trellising them this time, as opposed to growing them up corn stalks.

curious about my impressions of Baker Creek?  click here for my original post!

No comments:

Post a Comment