Thursday, March 7, 2013

Cour Di Bue Cabbage

Purchased From:  Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds for $2.00/300 seeds
Type: Cabbage

Cabbage doesn't seem terribly exciting to most people, and I can't say it's a favorite for square foot gardening because it does take up a bit of space, but this one looks like it will be interesting.  This cabbage has what is known as an "oxheart" shape, which I find very interesting, and is quite an old European heirloom.  I'm not the cabbage-eater in this family, but I took requests and one of the requests was for cabbage.  I will plant a few blocks of this and see how it turns out- if it is a hit, I will do more next year. I'll be starting these indoors in the next couple weeks and I think that they will end up being prime candidates for the sunny basement window.

This is another one I'd love to grow in a cold frame if I can get one built- there is a bit of flowerbed near the side door of our house that I am thinking of tearing out and replacing with a couple cold frames so that we can have easily-accessible winter veggies.  One of my projects in the coming weeks as spring starts to come upon us is to assess the areas we have for growing and see what I might be able to do.  It may end up being beneficial to convert the entire flowerbed on the kitchen side of the house into a kitchen garden.

curious about my impressions of Baker Creek?  click here for my original post!

2 comments:

  1. love your blog. Have you had luck with cabbage? Im in Casper, WY and it gets hot in the summer. Ive heard it can bolt in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not yet tried cabbage here, but I am definitely worried about bolting- I'm going to see how it goes this year. It's hard for us because we don't have the nice, long spring or fall that people elsewhere have, and summer is just so HOT HOT HOT.

      Delete