Thursday, April 18, 2013

Mammoth Russian Sunflower

Purchased from:  Fisher's Garden Store for $2.50
Type: Sunflower
Growth: TALL

This package of seeds did not even get opened last year- I just did not have a place to grow sunflowers.  This year, though, I do.  Right outside our kitchen door, where there were hollyhocks last year.  The area gets plenty of sun.  Hollyhocks are coming out, sunflowers are going in!

I love sunflowers, though I haven't grown any myself in ages.  At least, none that I got to look at- the ones I grew in Rochester got ripped out before I got back from visiting my fiance one fall.  I have some video of one of the many fields of sunflowers that we ran across when we drove from NY to MT, but it's not very clear, so I'm probably not going to share it on the blog.  I just think Sunflowers are so COOL, though!  Don't you?  The seeds are a bonus, though it's always a race to get to them before birds do.  The coolest thing about sunflowers is that they're an aggregate of many tiny flowers.  Each of those little pokey bits in the middle?  A whole flower in and of itself!  The petals on the outside?  Modified aesexual flowers!  HOW COOL IS THAT?!

Okay, enough nerding out.  I hope these get as big as the package says, because I love tall things.

click here to learn about my experience with Fisher's Garden Store and to learn how to get a catalog of your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment