Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Ananas D'Amerique a Chair Verte Melon

Source: Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, Free Gift.  Buyable here for $3.00/25-50 seeds.
Type: Melon
Growth: Vine

I think that Baker Creek must have assumed I am some kind of melon enthusiast, because in addition to the three types I purchased, they decided to include this free gift for me.  Supposedly famous for being grown in the US by Thomas Jefferson, this one is interesting because the name means something akin to "Green Fleshed Pineapple."  I'm interested to see what this beauty tastes like, assuming I can actually get the melons to full maturity, which is always a question mark in the north.  This one looks to have a fairly short season, but the fact of the matter is that melons generally love the heat, so I may need to take steps to ensure that the soil is warm enough.

I love the coloring and design on this packet and I wonder if they have a variety of free gifts with similar packet designs, or if this design is specific to this type of melon- who knows!  These are the weird thoughts that go through my head.

This melon brings the total I have to try up to 5- I may have a problem.

curious about my impressions of Baker Creek?  click here for my original post!

No comments:

Post a Comment