Thursday, February 28, 2013

Snowball Self-Blanching Cauliflower

Purchased from:  Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds for $2.50/200 seeds
Type: Cauliflower

I'll be honest- I have not had the greatest luck with Brassicas, despite the fact that they are supposed to be fairly easy to grow.  But someone else at Pea Pods did grow cauliflower last year, and would have had great luck had they not been out of town when it needed blanching.  I'm skeptical about the self-blanching claim that this cauliflower makes, but I will be going to the garden enough to cover the heads if needed.

There's really nothing else particularly special here; I considered growing a purple cauliflower or something similar but decided against it and instead picked a classic old variety.  I plan to do both a spring and a fall planting of these as well as the other "cool-weather" crops in the garden, since sometimes a fall or spring planting will work better than the other. 

curious about my impressions of Baker Creek?  click here for my original post!

No comments:

Post a Comment