Tuesday, April 14, 2009

What's going into the garden?

Since there's not really much getting done today in terms of gardening- and my favorite video game server is down so I can't play, I thought I'd make a post about what I'll be planting. I got the layout of the garden set last night on graph paper, and it might still get some adjusting but overall I'm pretty happy with it. I won't be buying the garden kits from online because they don't take credit card and I'm just not comfortable doing a direct bank transfer, so I'll have to get to a hardware store this week sometime.

I'm ordering all the seeds I don't already have from Gurneys. Now, I can't say that I'd buy anything but vegetable seeds (and maybe some flower seed) from them (more on why later), but I have a real soft spot in my heart for them. I know for a fact my grandfather used to buy vegetable seeds from them as well, and I have fond memories of looking through the old catalog and trying to decide which "giant" I would buy- there are always customer pictures and testimonials inserted into the copy, usually marveling at how big the yield was, or at how big the tomato/pumpkin/turnip/squash/zuchinni/etc was. Or how tall something grew, or something to that effect. Wonderful stuff.

Here's the list:
  • Rutabega
  • Spaghetti Squash
  • Butternut Squash
  • Cucumber
  • Cantaloupe
  • Red Onion
  • Carrots- the heirloom carrots from Seeds of Change and the Colorful Carrot Blend from Gurneys
  • Beet
  • Lettuce Blend
  • Mustard Green Blend
  • Broccoli
  • Orange Cauliflower (!!)
  • Pumpkin (Might get switched out for something else, not entirely sure yet)
  • Regular Peas (My aunt doesn't care for pod-eating)
  • Eggplant
  • Tomato
  • Corn
  • French Breakfast Radish (Seeds of Change)
  • Orange Bell Pepper (Seeds of Change)
  • Snow Peas (Seeds of Change)
The tomato and eggplant won't be purchased as seeds- I prefer to get plants locally since I don't have time to start my own this year. Next year, though, I will likely get an heirloom tomato and start it from seed indoors. All in all I do believe it's going to be a tasty treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment