Monday, April 13, 2009

Seeded: Cal Wonder Orange Bell Pepper

Our local Wegmans has a large selection of seeds from Seeds of Change, which is a very environmentally conscious seller of certified organic heirloom seeds. Where many seed catalogs are selling fancy hybrids and new varieties, Seeds of Change is one of those that tries to keep the old varieties alive. While I'm not one who subscribes to the "hybrid=bad" philosophy, or someone who thinks everything has to be strictly organic, I do really admire Seeds of Change, especially since they make an effort to have sustainable packaging (resealable seed packets! And I can put seeds I save in there, too!)

Anyway, I picked up 4 selections about a week ago. Cal Wonder orange bell pepper, Red Core Chantenay Carrot, French Breakfast Radish, and Sugar Pod Snow Pea, which does not seem to be available on their website.

As I said in a previous post, I'm getting a little bit of a late start on the peppers, but I got them seeded today (pictures to come later) in newspaper containers (folded newspaper filled with soil), so I'm on the way. That's the official start of Bronwyn's Garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment