Thursday, March 7, 2013

Vegetable Spaghetti: Or, how amazingly well winter squash keeps

It seems like so long ago that this photo was taken.  You can see on the bottom there the squash vine and the fruit that I cooked this morning, in its younger stages, of course.  In the excitement of moving last year and whatnot, the 2 spaghetti squashes that I'd harvested from my bed had been lost in the shuffle and I only just recently found them.  Any other vegetable and you might think "Ewwwww," but winter squash really does hold up quite well as long as it doesn't get too warm, and since my Father-in-law keeps the house fairly cool (one of the few benefits, I'm still usually frozen), the two squash were completely fine.  I only finally got around to cooking them today because I stepped on the bag containing them and inadvertently cracked the smaller one, so I figured I'd better get them baked before it went bad.

Can I just say, um, YUM?  I used this 'recipe' (I'd call it more of a tutorial).  I still have 2 halves of the larger squash and 1 half of the smaller one leftover, but I ate the entire half of the smaller squash and it was just yummy.  Seasoned with salt, pepper, a bit of butter, and then I put some shredded cheese on top.

I'm really pleased to see that being "stored" for six months (!) did not seem to affect the flavor at all, and I am definitely going to allocate a bit more space to Vegetable Spaghetti this year, because the variety is supposed to be a heavy producer, and I'm pretty sure the only reason mine wasn't was due to it being interplanted with the sweet corn.  I've read several accounts of people getting 20+ squash per PLANT so I'm going to have to find a bit of space for them here at the house.  Since they store so well I am hoping to get a much bigger crop this coming season.


No comments:

Post a Comment