Sunday, February 3, 2013

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

In an effort to combat the late start I got last year when it came to gardening, I've already gathered most of my seeds and am now in the scheduling mode- later this month I will start a few things indoors, and hope for the best.  We have moved to a different house, but we still have essentially no "sunny" area, though there is a small window in the basement (I know!) I'm going to try to make use of for some of my seedlings.

This year I've primarily ordered from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, which is not a catalog/site you want to go to if you're at all fond of "interesting" varieties, heirlooms, or old-timey stuff and would like to avoid spending a huge amount of money.  I am currently awaiting my physical catalog in the mail, but my seeds arrived already and the packaging- as you'll see in my posts about each specific variety- is just to die for.  The prices are not too bad, either, and since I'm still doing square foot gardening (new house has *some* gardening space, but it is still quite limited), even the smallest package (which was a rare watermelon with ~15 seeds) is going to be more than enough for me.

If you peruse the Baker Creek site, you'll find in addition to their wide variety of available seeds, they also have a lot of information about heirloom varieties, gorgeous photos from their pioneer village and headquarters in Missouri.  If I ever make it down there, I'm certainly going to be visiting because it looks like a blast.  I've been following their Facebook Page for a while, so I get wonderful updates about events they host and photos of their harvest throughout the season.  It's really just a wonderful place, as far as I can see.

I will update this post later with photos and more information once I get my physical catalog, which is quite popular as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment