Friday, August 24, 2012

August 24th Garden Haul

Just a really quick post to show off the "haul" from today's trip to the garden.  Well, mostly today.  The yellower lemon cucumber on top and one of the eggplants is from a few days ago, but who's keeping track, really?

Everything except the eggplant is from the community beds- every time we visit we do a once-over to see if there are any items ready to go.  The summer squashes (zucchini and yellow squash here) especially, because as you can see even with us doing a once-over every other day, some of them get a bit bigger than is ideal.  We're sure to grab those (since we're never sure if anyone else is even harvesting from that area), and then I go through and find any tomatoes that are BRIGHT RED.  Even with this, there are places where some of the stuff gets overripe.  I don't think very many other people are picking from the public beds. 

Last night I used the haul from a few days ago (which i failed to photograph in full) to make this casserole.  I used 3 good sized yellow squash plus a zucchini.  I seriously can't wait to make it again- I used a blend of extra sharp cheddar and monterey jack cheese, plus whole-wheat Ritz crackers.  The butter in the recipe does make it a bit less healthy than it could be, but you can easily sub that out for something with a lower fat content and it still tastes AMAZING.  I didn't have any onions so I left those out.  It was still so yummy.  A bitch to clean the pan I used, though- I miss my mom's Corningware casserole dishes.  Those were great for this kind of thing.  When I finally get around to having a wedding I'll have to put those on my registry and hope someone loves me ;)

I'm really out of the habit of taking photos- I need to really try to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment