Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Sprouting

Well, it's been a couple weeks and almost everything is sprouted (at this point it's just the carrots- and they're starting to juuuust peek a tiny bit). The lawn is getting mowed tomorrow, so I'll be laying down bed #2 in preparation for this weekend, when I plan to put almost everything else in the ground. Average frost-free date was yesterday- though I think it got pretty darned chilly this past evening. I'll be monitoring weather forecasts, but hopefully things will go as planned. This'll mean that the corn is going in the ground, a few of the things I've started indoors... Memorial Day Weekend is when everything will be planted, so I still have a couple weeks to plan for that.

I haven't gotten to the store again to purchase things... It is just too stressful, so I am making a list for my aunt so she can go. I'm so happy she's willing.

Today I thinned out the root vegetables- namely the beets and the rutabegas. I really need to thin the salad greens but I'm kind of overwhelmed by the thought- I will put it on my to-do list for tomorrow. I just scattered the seeds in there because they're so small, but I think when I plant the second patch of each sometime this week I'll have to be a little more deliberate with my placement. I can't wait till the leaves are big enough to start having fresh-from-the-garden salads. Yum!

In non-gardening news, I've been rather depressed the last few days- probably in part because it is graduation season and as usual tons of my friends are graduating from various graduate programs, or from undergrad... Moving on, getting jobs- heck, some of them are even buying houses! Can you believe it!? And here I am just trying to be successful in the garden... Well, here's hoping I can do that, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment