Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Progress!

I don't have pictures- I'll take some when I go outside for my "second round" but I got one of the beds put together. I'm now contemplating placing it up against the chain-link fence to avoid having to build a trellis, but I suppose I should talk to the neighbors first and find out if that's OK. I could alternatively place it against the OTHER fence side but the sun comes from that side so everything else in the bed would end up shaded... We'll see.

Gurney's just FINALLY shipped out the rest of my order (I think.. there may still be a few things missing >_<), which is leading me to not be terribly impressed with their service, especially given that the "arrival" date got pushed back several times on me. I need to get onions, peas, and probably some greens in the ground as soon as that all gets here, so... yeah.

I had some issues with the beds, but I didn't want to have to go back out and buy screws or anything so I ended up using the finishing nails my aunt had stashed in her tool drawer. I drilled holes in the ends of the slightly longer 4' boards and sandwiched the slightly shorter 4' boards between those- some of my holes weren't in the greatest place, either. It's all good in the end, though, because any nails that went through were on the INSIDE where no one will get hurt/see them once the dirt is in the beds. The bed I made isn't terribly exact or fancy looking (the lumber we got was slightly warped, also), but that is OK because if there's one thing I learned while studying at Cornell, it's that plants don't really care about that sort of thing and it's only people who do.

I'm not one of those people.

I think after I get pictures and stuff posted I might make a post about my thoughts on growing organic, on home garden pest/weed control, and maybe some other things... I'm not a Master Gardener or anything and this'll be the first garden I'm growing on my own, but I've got a lot of knowledge to share, I think.

Now to try and think of something to do about the deer....

No comments:

Post a Comment