Tuesday, May 7, 2013

St. Lawrence Nurseries

If you live in Zone 3 like I have for most of my life, then you understand the pain of trying to find fruit trees and shrubs and such that actually are hardy enough to grow in your area.  Most varieties of fruit thrive in Zone 5 or higher, and even the trees sold by traditional garden supply stores that supposedly are OK for the colder areas can have problems- they may be grafted on a NON-cold-hardy rootstock.

So what's a north-dweller to do?  Check out St. Lawrence Nurseries!  They're located in Potsdam, NY and have a huge selection of fruits and nuts that are very cold-hardy, being that the nursery itself is located in Zone 3. 

I should note that I have a personal connection with this nursery, as I grew up in St. Lawrence County- Bill MacKentley helped to coach the 4-H Horticulture team every year I was on it, and we'd take many trips to his nursery to practice plant ID and learn little tidbits.  I was also friends with his daughter, who is my age.  I really have nothing but great memories of those times, and I know that their family are, well, "Good people" as my in-laws like to say.

Now, for this year I missed the ordering deadline, and I'm not sure if we really are ready for any kind of permanent fruit trees or anything here at the 'new' place.  I might put in raspberries or something next year.  But I would absolutely order from here- and if you live anywhere chilly like I do, you should, too.

One thing to note- and this is in their catalog- but they do not offer the popular "dwarf" style of apple that is standard these days.  They use standard rootstock- this is for cold hardiness.  You can prune your trees (you'll need to do it fairly aggressively, so if you go that route make sure you research research research) to keep them somewhat in check, but they will get big enough that you'll probably need a ladder to harvest things on the top, and it'll take a bit longer before you get a big amount of fruit.  So keep that in mind.  You should be pruning every year anyway (for ALL fruits, though please research the particular item because it is different for each kind) for maximum fruit production.

No comments:

Post a Comment