Sunday, July 15, 2012

Harvest is Happening

Obviously for some people, this may seem like a late start, but since our growing season is fairly short here and I (it turns out wisely) waited till the beginning of June to put much of anything in the garden, it's probably not surprising that I'm only just *now* starting to harvest things, a month after some of my more favorably located friends have been harvesting summer squashes.




This is from last week- some spinach and a radish.  I had previously harvested ~10 radishes, but a few were not quite ready to pick so left them in.  I've also been blessed to share in some lettuce and pea harvests from friends at the community garden, since my lettuce and peas have been beset by the fanged menace, bunny rabbits.


There's a "full" view of my garden bed, and you can sort of see the type of setup we have going here at Pea Pods.  It's quite nice, 10'x4' bed in all, and I've packed quite a bit in there.  Unfortunately the VERY hot weather has caused my spinach to bolt (well, my first planting, anyway), rabbits have beset the peas and lettuce, and I made a planning mistake in putting my peppers between the tomatoes and eggplants.  However, these are the things that make gardening a learning process, and one must learn to "let it go" in the garden.

This week I look forward to harvesting some summer squash from the community beds- I peeked at them today and see that there are a few fruits growing that should be ready.  I should also have tomatoes in the next week or two.  Exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment